For the first time in a long time, Cami and I went to the movies this weekend. As we pulled into the parking lot, we got one of our first up close glimpses at a new phenomenon we had only previously heard about: guys wearing girl’s jeans.
I was curious about whether this trend was localized to teen movie-goers in Louisville or if it had gained a wider appeal throughout the culture. So, I did some investigating and here is what I uncovered:
People Magazine reports on celebrities embracing the trend of males wearing tight (and often girl) pants or jeans. The list of celebs doing this is growing daily and one of the trendsetters is actor turned goth-rocker, Jared Leto (as seen in the picture–remember MTV’s My So-Called Life?).
Wickipedia reports that the trend of guys wearing girl jeans is popular in the EMO music scene:
“Some fans of emo opt for tight black T-shirts, skintight girl’s jeans with a carabiner on the back belt loop, and white belts. The style is often associated with bands such as Some Girls, and Converge. Dyed black hair (often combed down over one side of the face), ear piercings, lip rings, and flesh tunnels are popular within this scene.”
What’s interesting is that this is not a new trend this year. In my research (i.e. google search), I found this article from the LSU student newspaper reporting on the trend of college males wearing female jeans in March of 2004.
According to the article, the three main reasons guys wear girl jeans are:
- they are comfortable
- they show off their figure better
- 3. it identifies them with a specific group of people
In fact, I was almost a tight pants trendsetter back in 2000. I asked for black dress pants that year at Christmas time. My mom bought me some from Banana Republic, and they were the tightest pants I’ve ever put on–it felt like I was wearing shrink wrap. They were promptly returned, but my brothers still give me a hard time to this day about how girly they looked on me. I almost got a pair of tight pants from my unknowing mom, but how are these guys getting their girl jeans? From what I can tell:
- some borrow them from friends (why swap food at the lunch table when you can swap jeans?)
- Others are borrowing them from their girlfriends (why share kisses when you can share jeans?)
- But even more surprising is that many guys are actually buying their own pair of women’s jeans (do you have those low-rise, flare legs in a size 22?)
My personal opinion is that this is one of the most frightening fashion trends that I’ve seen in a while. It just looks so unnatural to me. The fact that fashion barriers between genders are deteriorating is just another symptom of the degeneration of gender distinctives in society as a whole. When culture has marginalized the differences between male and female so greatly, then fashion trends such as this one should come as no surprise.
So, now I need to hear from you:
- Have you seen teen guys wearing girl jeans?
- Are college guys doing this too?
- What do you think of it?
- Would you ever do it?
- Do people you know make fun of people who do it?
- And last but not least, is this really any different than wanna-be cowboys wearing skin-tight wranglers???