BBC News reports on a recent survey of students which studied trends in their technology usage. Here are some of the stats:
- 16 to 24 year olds, it reports, spend nearly three hours on the net each week.
- Research suggests this online lifestyle may have contributed to a fall in television viewing – this age group watch seven hours less television per week than the average viewer
- 70% (compared to 41% of the general population) have used some kind of social networking site
- One in five (20%) have their own website or blog
- 1.8 million homes are now using their broadband connections for internet telephone calls
- Half (50%) of the group owns a games console and/or an MP3 player
Next week, I will be posting some thoughts on how we can leverage technology to minister to the ‘networked generation’. Stay tuned!